Friday, September 5, 2008

The Girl's First Lunchbox

As a kid the best part of getting ready to go back to school was the trip to buy a new lunchbox. I can't remember ever caring what I wore to school before the 5th grade- but I sure did care about the fashion statement my lunchbox made. I remember rocking "Hong Kong Phoey", "The Incredible Hulk" and "Star Wars" themes just to name a few.

Apparently the genetic trend has been passed down the family tree. Here's Addy's first:


Kind of fitting since she'd in the "Fabulous Frogs" class huh?

How about you? Do you remember any of your childhood lunchboxes? Were you a metal or plastic person?

5 comments:

Patrick said...

Metal lunch boxes for years. I had a Superman one and Pac Man one. I always wanted the Super Friends one but never got it. A few years ago I go a Christmas ornament version of it and felt like I had finally achieved a life long dream.

The innovation of plastic lunch boxes seemed kind of like giving up to me.

Anonymous said...

ha. Yeah, I loved the good 'ol square plastic ones with the thermos. I can remember very vividly getting one for 1st grade at Albertson's. It was yellow and had a picture of the "Popple's" on it.
the worst thing about lunch boxes is when your Mom puts a Banana in it b/c then Everything in there takes on the taste of banana! Sick.

Anonymous said...

i always ate school lunch.... wa wa wa!

Anonymous said...

I started with a Batman one then moved up to a Battlestar Galactica one and then for some reason I was all about getting one of those construction looking ones. It was all black with a rounded top and a Giant thermos. It was sweet because my mom would throw in a Capri Sun and then put boiling water and hotdogs in the thermos.

Currently I have an Iron Maiden one hiding in the man cave LOL.

GreatestCollectibles.com said...

great post. I also love to collect old metal lunch boxes too. here is a very useful guide with images, descriptions and values to each one http://www.greatestcollectibles.com/lunchbox-price-guide/ hope its helpful.