Friday, September 12, 2008

9-11

When I saw the date roll up on the calendar it hit me that it has been 7 years since the attacks that defined this date in American culture.

I didn't watch any of the news coverage yesterday and only had a couple of brief conversations about the day/attacks so I thought I'd see what you're thinking. (You did so well on the pop-tart post after all!)

Q: Does it feel like it has been 7 years since this event?

Q: Did you watch any of the coverage or memorials on 9/11 yesterday? Why? Why not?

Q: Do you remember where you were on that day when you heard about the attacks? What was your initial reaction?

Q: Do you ever think or worry about the possibility of another terrorist event on U.S. soil?

Q: Did 9/11/01 change you? If so, how?

2 comments:

Chad K Miller said...

September 11, 2001 was a day none of us could ever forget. I was receiving students coming in from their special classes and as they entered the room, their normally happy faces were very solemn. I had on the news as the second jet went into the tower, at that point 5 or so kids were in the room. We sat and watched the television for about 5 minutes, before our principal cut off the cable in the whole building. We were censored, it was a county decision. We all got on the Internet (not nearly what it is now) and tried to find out more and more information. It punched me in the gut and made me really appreciate life. I had three distant family members that were supposed to be in harm's way that day, and I felt blessed. But so many suffered such enormous losses. It probably made me lose a lot of faith in our supposed safety as a nation. Suzanne and I traveled the following Christmas, we were headed back to Raleigh from Phoenix when the shoe bomber was found. From then on, I have always hated flying. It is difficult to get patted down, take off your shoes, necessary, but I avoid it if I can. Sad how full of ourselves we were that we did not check into more. I saw us, because I think all Americans had some sort of elite thinking about us and them. That day put all humans on a level playing field, that I believe in many ways humbled all of us as we mourned.

Anonymous said...

Thought I would answer both at the same time. I think all pop tarts are disgusting- I prefer toaster strudel.
If I had to eat a pop tart- it would have to be iced.

I went to sleep with the tv on- sound very low. I woke up at 2am and listened to exactly the same broadcast I heard in 2001. I was in Ohio at the Turner's. Beulah and I were getting ready to go see Gina- it was her 31st birthday. Both towers had fallen before we left. It was a birthday Gina will never forget.