Monday, June 16, 2008

Wild Kingdom...In My Yard

We chose our latest home because of the established neighborhood with lots of trees. As a bonus we got lots of critters who feel free to use our yard whenever they feel like it. So far we've seen lots of birds (bluebirds, robins, cardinals, hummingbirds, finches, woodpeckers, and others we haven't learned to identify yet), bunnies, bugs (including lightning bugs- Addy's current favorite), the occasional cat and a herd of squirrels. We've heard about the raccoons and deer that roam our hood, but they haven't dropped by yet.

Yesterday I got this shot of a squirrel who was hanging right outside our sliding glass door. I think he was taunting me, but I could be wrong.


Of course, having all the animals around is great for the kids. Who needs a zoo? And, if the cost of food keeps going up- all those survival shows I've been watching on the discovery channel are really going to pay off with some good eating!

2 comments:

Christian Stevenson said...

I can see you now standing in the pulpit with coon skin hat on and a pocketful full of buckshot!

Anonymous said...

If you like I can share some secret family recipes for fried squirrel. We do not have any for above the head parts as we gave these parts to my aunt.