Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Everyone Is An Atheist...

No, not in the technical sense, but most everyone has some version of God that they don't believe in. In fact, I've heard a couple of different folks suggest this was a helpful way to journey alongside people who say they don't believe in God. Invite them to tell you about the God they don't believe in, because chances are you don't believe in that version of God either.

This past week I was at a worship gathering of people who are trying to follow the ways of Jesus and we sang a song called "I Am An Atheist".
Here are the lyrics:

Atheist
Words and music by Brian McLaren and Aaron Strumpel

I am an atheist when it comes to the god of violent jihad.
I am an atheist when it comes to the lord who converts by the sword
I am an atheist when it comes to the mission of politicians using religion as ammunition.

I believe in you - the artist of trees and galaxies
I believe in you - the poet of oceans and rivers and streams
I believe in you - the god of compassion who calls us to action
I believe in you

I can’t believe what they believe but I believe in you
I can’t believe what they believe but I believe in you

I believe in you - majestic designer of space and time
I believe in you - composer of beauty and music of life
I believe in you - the holy forgiver and wild reconciler
I believe in you

I am an atheist to the gods of the greedy ignoring the needy.
I am an atheist to the gods who make others torture and suffer
I am an atheist when it comes to the view of the chosen few, who judge and condemn all who differ them

I believe in you ... mighty in meekness and gentle in power
I believe in you ... the word who has spoken good news to the broken
I believe in you ... transcending mystery, with us in history
I believe in you
You can hear a full version of the song HERE.

How would you write your own verse(s) to this song- either describing the God you do or don't believe in?

1 comments:

Bret Foster said...

Yeah, but there are no atheists on MySpace: http://snipurl.com/1zckd