Saturday, January 19, 2008

The Best Movie I've Seen Lately Is...

I love movies. Spending weekends in Raleigh without my family for the last few months afforded me the chance to actually see a few in the theater. (A rare occurrence in my life anymore. Sniff, sniff.) Really enjoyed "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" and "I Am Legend".

But the movie I wholeheartedly recommend is.....


Juno!

A cursory look at the film info might not leave you too impressed- yet another movie for the mtv demographic; about teenage pregnancy; complete with required sexual innuendo, language and rebellion; featuring the acting talents of one "Teen Wolf Too" Jason Bateman- and it is easy to see why you'd take a pass on this one. Watch Juno for yourself and you'll discover there's a rich, satisfying film under the bright candy shell.

Here's a short list of why I'm finding myself recommending director Jason Reitman's latest effort:
- Juno is funny. I've seen it in the theater twice, and both times the crowd (me included) laughed out loud multiple times- starting with Rainn Wilson's quip heavy cameo. ("Your eggo is preggo.")
- But fairly mainstream. I'd describe Juno as a more accessible Napoleon Dynamite. If you wanted to find Napoleon as funny as your friends (or the teens you know) did, but just couldn't- give Juno a chance. You won't have to fake amusement to fit in.
- The acting is good all around. Every cast member is believable. No one texts it in. Yes, even Jason Bateman pulls his weight.
- Nice sounds. The soundtrack fits the film really well and is engaging. After my first viewing, I went home and bought a few of the songs that were stuck in my head. The second time I saw it, I heard people in the crowd singing along with a few key tracks. Keep in mind, these aren't songs you've probably heard before. ("Anyone Else But You" by the Moldy Peaches is my current favorite.) You can hear full versions of the songs HERE.
- Strong messages. Although you can ingest Juno as merely satisfying entertainment, you can also digest slowly and savor some great conversations about any of the topics the film addresses. Juno opens the door for reflection and discussion on a slew of real life issues: teenage sexuality & pregnancy, abortion, infertility, consequences, disappointment, materialism, divorce, parenting, commitment, image management, judging others, being yourself, forgiveness, trust, real love, suburbia, etc. Without giving too much away, I'd encourage every parent or adult who works with kids to see this film. Aside from the cultural flavor, you'll be exposed to some interesting perspectives.

If you've seen or go see Juno, let me know what you think.

10 comments:

Ms. Holly said...

I give this 2 thumbs up as well. I must say that I cried at the end but I am a girl. We do these things. I agree with all your points and took my 13 year old daughter and her friend to see it. They really enjoyed it and it was educational in the facts of life. Some dialogue was needed to explain a few things but it definitely stressed a few points to them.


By the way Fred, Victoria and Alex Carpenter were baptized tonight. They baptized each other. This as a result of the accountability they have found in each other and the deepening relationship with Christ that Life Hurts God Jeals has fostered.

Good times!
Hope all is well with you and yours. How is that burn.

Anonymous said...

i saw this movie at the KY theater this week and absolutely LOVED it. the entire audience laughed the entire time.

rainn's cameo was a welcome breath of "office" air in this stagnant TV season.

Fred said...

Holly- I had a feeling that parents would be able to use this film as a dialogue starter with their teens. Good for you.

Em- I TOTALLY agree with you on your office comment. And would have loved to have seen Juno @ the KY. Such a great setting for movies.

Maria said...

I accompanied Emily to the KY theater to partake in a little Juno on a Friday night and I loved it. To me, it was a very fun get-away without getting too far away from reality. I laughed and cried because of how realistic it was.

I would definitely recommend and I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed it as well. I thought Ellen Page did a wonderful job as Juno and I hope to see more of her in the future.

And, of course, Rainn was great!

Anonymous said...

Can't WAIT to see this movie...

Bret Foster said...

Juno is my favorite movie of last year (that I saw this year). It's funny, heart warming, and beautifully put together.

It's a must see.

Oh, and the soundtrack is pretty good too....I think I put Moldy Peaches' "Anyone Else But You" on a mix CD I gave you way back in 2002! Oh, I guess you don't listen to all the mix CDs I give you!

Fred said...

Everyone meet the Colonel- witty, snobbish, sarcastic, over exaggerator with good taste. Which explains why he and I are friends.

For the record Colonel, I've only known you since 2004 and I DO listen to your mixes. IF you ever gave me this song (which I question), then chalk up my newfound appreciation as credit to you.

As Patch says- I'll give you that one.

Patrick said...

Saw it and loved it.

Bret Foster said...

Wow...that may be the most accurate description of me that I've ever read. Man, I sometimes wish that I could be you just so I could claim me as a friend...and my psychiatrist said I should try to befriend myself what ever that means.

~d said...

I didn't know you loved movies!
Has anyone told you that Raleigh has a $1.50 theatre???

It's on Blue Ridge Road right by NC State.

http://raleigh.ohsohandy.com/theater/carmike-blue-ridge-14-cinema


They just renovated so it's pretty nice.