Friday, September 14, 2007

Yes, It Is True...

This past weekend the announcement was made that my family and I will be leaving the Crossroads staff. I've accepted an offer to join Connections Church in Raleigh, NC.

Connections is a 3 year old church of about 100 people that is pursuing its own unique identity in the Kingdom of God. Connections is a multi-ethnic (USAmerican, Bahamian & Hatian) , multi-generational (birth-60's) community that has a strong desire to honor God by loving and serving its neighbors in the Raleigh metro area. I will serve as the lead pastor, with a focus on leadership, vision casting and teaching. My last official weekend as a part of the Crossroads’ staff will be October 6th & 7th.

Although the opportunity has come quickly, we have a lot of peace about it and believe that God has opened this door for us.

Of course, moving is a bit bittersweet. Heading to Raleigh means that we have to leave Crossroads and all of you that we have come to love so much here. Even though I'm finishing up here in early October, we won't move until we sell our home. I'll end up commuting back and forth to Raleigh, while Jen and the kids stay here. All that to say that our opportunities to connect don't expire in 3 or 4 weeks.

As for a longer term plan, I'll find reasons to be back in Lexington. (Hello- Men's Weekend!) I intend to keep this as my personal blog, so you can all find and communicate with me here. Feel free to subscribe if you are interested. I'm also hooked on FACEBOOK and would gladly make you my friend if you agree not to stalk me. Also, feel free to update my email address to: fredsturner@gmail.com so you can reach me long term.

Thanks for taking the time to stop in and for allowing Jen and me into your lives. We're better for it. Hope you can say the same...

8 comments:

Mrs. Needham said...

Don't Go!!!

Okay you can go just leave Jen and the kids :-)

Fred said...

Don't tempt me. =)

Micah said...

I remember wondering whether or not Ami and I should go back to Crossroads when we were searching for a church. I liked the music, Glen was a pretty good speaker, but it was 20min away and I was leaning toward a local church. We came back the next weekend and heard Fred's introductory speech. I thought, "There's a guy I would follow." Albeit just another Fred. I'm going to miss you, Jen, precocious little Addy and Colston, 'cuz I probably won't follow you that far!
Have fun out there!

Patrick said...

I will endeavor to make the next Men's Weekend the greatest one ever in honor of you making the trip.

Anonymous said...

Fred (& Jenn)--

Thank you for being an such an incredible friend and shepherd to me during the 2 years I've been in KY. I am so appreciative and thankful for meeting you early into my time at Xroads and seeing firsthand your passion for people. Thanks to you (and GG) I was able to get connected pretty soon after moving here which is so huge when you're in a new place and know no one.

I don't think I've had a conversation with you that you weren't 100% present--that is so rare now-a-days and something I will truly miss. Your absence will be greatly felt at Xroads and in the lives of so many.

Hopefully our paths will cross again one day. :)

Unknown said...

Hope your house sale goes well. It's a tough time to sell, but it's really all in God's hands anyway. We, of course, wanted to sell right away, but God sold our house at exactly the right time -- His time. If we had sold any earlier or any later, this opportunity in Phoenix would not have worked. God is always right all the time.

Fred said...

Thanks for the reminder that God is in control Ryan. I'm prone to forget! We do have a contract on our house with the contingency that our buyers sell their home. We'd appreciate all of your prayers about this.

Unknown said...

That's really awesome considering the present market! We'll be praying for you.